Vector8 Journals

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Accident or Omnipresence at Work?

I was ten years old at the time, living in Freetown, Sierra Leone. (You know that tiny country on the west coast of Africa?) We used to take shortcuts through a private primary school, where the pupils wore their own clothes instead of uniforms. They were posh kids whose parents were politicians or very wealthy; or was it their parents were wealthy because they were politicians? Anyway, I can vividly remember our headmistress giving us a lecture during one assembly, that it was forbidden for us to take short cuts through that particular school ground. Still, it was a shortcut and a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

I can remember jay-walking across the road. I say jay-walk but the concept "jay-walking" had no reality. No one paid attention to traffic lights, which were mere street decorations. Back to my story. There was a stationary van parked on the road. I checked both sides of the road and dashed across. A car appeared from nowhere on the left side but it missed me, but on the right there was another car and it was moving too fast. Too late, I was hit. Then time seemed to slow down. I saw myself falling to the ground and the car's wheel stopping near my head. I heard a voice saying "It's not happening, it's all a dream. It's not real." I was here, there, and everywhere. I believe I was/(am) Consciousness without a body but an awareness. Then I was back in my body.

Back in the dream world, I was weeping, more out of embarrassment than anything else. My nemesis, pupils from the private school, were obviously standing there gawping at me. How the mighty has fallen! I heard muffled voices around me. I felt someone's arms lifting me up and putting me in the back of a car. Then I heard a commotion. I was transferred from the car to an ambulance, which happened to be a few cars behind. I was driven, sirens blaring, to the hospital. I'd often wondered what it would be like in an ambulance - now my dream had come true. I was so thrilled to be riding in an ambulance. It's a shame I couldn't see through the windows. I couldn't wait to share my adventure with my classmates.

At the hospital, I had my wounds cleaned and dressed. I was put in a small ward to wait for my mother. There was another woman on the other side of the room who seemed to be in a lot of pain. I received a lot of attention from the hospital staff; nurses and doctors popped in to see me, but they didn't seem to be paying much attention to the other patient.

I was so relieved to see my distraught mother and my aunt. The doctor assured them I was fine and I should have time off school with a lot of TLC (tender loving care). Oh the joy of being off school for two weeks! I indulged in soft drinks, biscuits and cakes, treats usually reserved for special occasions like birthdays, parties or Christmas. My friends came to visit me and we had a lot of fun.

One day, one Sister at the hospital paid me a visit. Wow, I didn't realise I'd made such an impression! The truth was the Sister had been driving the car that had run me over. She was on her way to work that morning. No wonder I had been so popular; the doctors and nurses weren't used to having one of their own run a patient over to the hospital.  The Sister brought me lots of nice treats so that was OK with me. My mother decided not to take legal action against her as I wasn't badly injured, just a few cuts and bruises.

The story took a strange twist. The Sister who had run me over turned out to be no other than my cousin's boyfriend's aunt, whom the family had never met. (My cousin and the boy eventually did get married. For all I know my accident drew them closer. I doubt that very much, but I can dream, can't I?

So there you go, omnipresence at work. Love was all around us. Love was lurking as the ambulance which drove me to the hospital. Love was the driver who at least knew how to take care of her victim. Love protected me from being badly injured. Love was the harmonious resolution when the driver turned out to be "family." Finally, Love was the realisation that what I was experiencing was a dream.

While I wouldn't recommend this dream experience, it shows that nothing is as it seems. "Life is but a dream."

There was/is only the one player in this drama called life and it is Consciousness.

I am Consciousness,
Enocia

For other writings see Vector8 writings